In 1955 a few Maumee residents and business men decided to try to form a boat club on the the Maumee River within the
city limits. Their ideas were largely formulated during coffee sessions, presided over by George Burnett, at the Cottage Restaurant
on Conant Street.
Lookin over the river frontage available, it appeared that few lots were left that might be suitable. One was almost
directly across the street from the well-known and famous Wolcott House, oned by the late Rlla Hull. Initial talks with
Miss Hull, who lived in the house, were not very encouraging, but when she learned that her minister, the Rev. Malcom Ward,
pastor of St. Paul's Episcopal Church, was interested in the project, she agreed to lease the land.
The Indian Hill Boat Club had its official start on May 24, 1955, when Articles on Incorporation were filed wit
hthe State of Ohio. The first paragraph stating the pruposes of the Corporation reads as follows:
To promote, encourage, and provide facilities for boating, sailing, and navigation of watercraft of all kinds and
types; competition between such crafts; thereof, and social and recreational activities in connection therewith or incident
thereto, particularly in the City of Maumee, Ohio, and the area and waters adjacent thereto.
Those signing the Articles of Incorporation were: Lowell L, Baldwin, Louis M. Earick, Frank W. Hackett, Sr., George S.
Burnett, and S. E. Klewer. The officers for the first year of operation in 1955 were listed as Lowell Baldwin - president,
George Burnett - vice-president, and Louis Earick -secretary/treasurer.